Monday, June 2, 2008

The Name - Beloved Hope

Well, we've LOVED all of your comments both on the blog and in personal e-mails regarding what we should name our baby girl. Each comment has made us rethink what to name her,and we've changed our minds so many times it's funny. You are all so convincing. Finally we decided to wait until we met her, and that might help us decide.

There is a wonderful, haunting, deep song by Natalie Grant with a line that says, ". . . hope comes from suffering." Troy and I just listened to this song right before we came to India, and it reminded us of the reasons why we wanted to adopt an Indian baby girl in the first place. When we look at our baby girl, she is frail - not as robust as Jia. She has had quite a life already, and there must be a spark of hope deep inside her to have kept her going. We also feel that in life she is going to need hope in the months and years to come.

So, we decided yesterday to drop Kiran as a name. If it wasn't to be her first name, then there was really no need to keep it, as the real heart of the name is "Asha - hope." And yes, four names seems to be a bit much - though we did like Wanda's and Andrea Croft's (in personal e-mail) acronym of ASKD, and the meanings they associated with it.

So, her name is Asha Saloni Dickson - Beloved Hope. We don't have to put it on any legal papers until we get home. . . don't be surprised if we change our mind again in the meantime ;).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! OUR GOD IS AN AWESOME GOD!!!
Troy & Kim, CONGRATS!!! You Kim have shown that you are a natural as a mom and Asha is bonding with you so quickly because she is feeling the love that only a mother can give to her child. You are experiencing so much of what I went through with Stacy. It was almost 36 hrs before I could get more then an hour or so of sleep because she too only wanted me. It was worth all the sleepless hrs and you will never forget these first days of bonding. She will come around to Daddy very soon, she just needs a little time. Troy, remember Jia's adjustment to you and now look at "Daddy's Girl". I love Asha Solani and it fits her perfectly. What a beauty she is. Jia is going to be such a wonderful big sis. I too am glad Stacy is with you and that she was able to share in this and see first hand the instant love and joy felt when I got her. Only those that have adopted know this feeling. Hang in there and soon you will be home and settling in. Can't wait for the next blog. Love you all, Sharon

Tanley said...

Hi Jia, Kim, Troy and Saloni!

I think I like your choice of name/s and placement. It does seem perfect. Unlike D(Grand-D);-) I like Asha...it's unique, not difficult to say or understand and the meaning is really beautiful too. Well, whatever you finally decide on I know that it will be perfect for her.
The pictures you have posted are so wonderful! In addition what you have conveyed through words the pictures have added such a depth of emotion and taste of things you are experiencing. I find myself anxiously awaiting the news of the day from India.


Peace,
Tanley

Heather said...

I love the name! And don't worry I will love a new name even if you change it again! I am eager to hear how things are going?! I need the phone number of the hotel you are at - this is driving me crazy not being able to talk to you guys! I told Kevin last night that there is no way I can wait until Aug to meet Asha - The Withers will be making a trip up north soon!

Anonymous said...

Hello Dickson Family!!
Your Blog is so beautifully written, I feel like I am there in India with you all!! I am PRAISING GOD for your newest miracle and for His constant provision!! Mani and I are so very happy for you all, and cannot wait to see you as a family of 4 when you come home!! We'll be following your journey and continuing to pray for a smooth transition and safe travel home. Much love in Christ, Pamela & Mani Bouslaugh