She was the tiny one, with a pixie face. I sat down next to her and spoke Hindi/English tickling the bottom of her feet. She stared at me. The social worker/psychologist- Smita - encouraged me to pick her up. So I picked up and marveled at my tiny baby. Honestly, I don't remember if she cried - I think she was still quiet. In only a few minutes we walked her down the stairs to Jia's delighted and sweet greeting. She ran up, gently wrapped her arms around her, gave her a kiss on the hair, and said "Okay, let's go now in the car." Unlike China adoptions though, we were encouraged to stay the day, get to know and have lunch wiith some of the staff, take her through her routine with the other babies, and let her get to know us in her own environment. It felt so much healthier and less traumatizing. So we explained this to Jia, and she insisted she wanted to hold her.
We went to a low wall, so Jia could be sitting, and while walking over there I realized Saloni was grasping onto me for dear life. When I put her into Jia's lap, the wails of sorrow began. Big crocodile tears. I quickly took her back, and Jia wide-eyed, handed her back. But now the mourning had begun. Jia declared that she wanted her other mommy. It didn't seem like a good time to carry on a discussion of birth mommies with Jia, so I just said I was her mommy. Since she would not stop crying, I tried to hand her off to Troy to see if he might be fascinating and soothing to her, but she would have none of it. Instead, when I took her back she stopped crying for a minute--aha!--only to resume again with her tiny but loud voice. Finally I got up and walked around with her, which quieted her and she just stared at us wide eyed, fascinated by her big sister's pranks on the slides, merry-go-round,and trampoline. By this time, her age group of babies and aunties had come down too - so she could be in my arms comfortably with her familiar care gives and babies near her. Eventually the trauma of the whole thing exhausted her and she fell into a deep sleep. I handed her tiny frame over to Troy and he carried and studied his new daughter.
We were eventually directed to take her back to her room and put her down for her nap. When Troy laid her down, boy did she turn around and frown at him. This girl can frown! With her face alone you know she's not happy. She refused to go back to sleep. Looking back, we realize at that point she had decided we were hers. Smita got her up again, handed her to me and she quietly clung on with all she had. Eventually we fed her lunch with the other babies.
She ate slowly and not nearly as much as the other babies in her room. A repeat performance of feeding her later in the day warned me that I may be spending the next months of my life slowly feeding and coaxing high calorie food down her little body, until she has some healthy baby fat rolls.
After lunch they gave us some time alone with her in a guest room. We were all exhausted - having woken up at 4 am, and wiped out from the days of travel and today's emotion. She was only happy next to me or with me holding her. Jia tried to play with her a little bit with the toys we brought but she didn't interact much. She watched Troy and Stacy out of the corner of her eyes. Finally, unable to keep our heads off the pillow, I held her on my chest as she sucked her thumb and absorbed her new mommy's smell, feel, and sound.
After lunch they gave us some time alone with her in a guest room. We were all exhausted - having woken up at 4 am, and wiped out from the days of travel and today's emotion. She was only happy next to me or with me holding her. Jia tried to play with her a little bit with the toys we brought but she didn't interact much. She watched Troy and Stacy out of the corner of her eyes. Finally, unable to keep our heads off the pillow, I held her on my chest as she sucked her thumb and absorbed her new mommy's smell, feel, and sound.
So that we could have lunch with the staff, they took her for her nap - she was not happy to be handed off to an Auntie, whimpering as she was taken. Sadly, I could not think of much to ask or say to the staff - my mind was pre-occupied, though I know they were instrumental in helping to raise her the first year of her life. Luckily Jia was in fine spirits and regaled them all with her talking, and gave them a good idea of who Saloni had for a big sister. And again, they let us go back to the guest room to rest - Jia was asleep in 5 minutes! Stacy stayed with her (we are SO HAPPY we brought Stacy with us!!!), and we were able to go meet the Foster Mom that Saloni lived with from 2 months to 6 months old. Again, not much to say but happy to see her. She didn't have any insights on Saloni, as she was "too young - babies don't do much then." Anyway, we thanked her for her care of our baby during those young months, took some pictures, and she was off.
Finally we woke Jia up for the departing ceremony, and they brought in Saloni. She hadn't slept a wink. She grasped on hard to me again, and fell asleep promptly. We were hers! All the staff were amazed at how she just nuzzeled into me. So was I! Your prayers are powerful - that's all I have to say!
We finally headed back to our hotel. For the next several hours, she would not tolerate being moved even slightly away from me to readjust, and I certainly could not put her down. She was not interested in playing or anything else, just being close. So, again I laid her on my chest and rested. She happily sucked her thumb, eyes open, absorbing. We could hear Jia's delighted squeals from the pool below, where Stacy was keeping her entertained.
Troy and I eventually got all of us changed into swimsuits and headed down to the pool. She was fascinated by everyone, but not at all interested in having more than the tips of her feet in the water. And then she seemed to wake up.
When we brought her back to our room, she sat on the floor and happily played with all of her toys with Jia. And Jia was delighted to get to play with her. We saw her crawl a little, and she even made her first sounds outside of crying. She was going to be okay!
But were we exhausted! I hardly made it through our ordered-in dinner, and sent Troy off to the store to buy more baby food and dish soap. By the time he was back, Saloni was in bed with me (I found out that they don't have cribs at this hotel), screaming bloody murder. Uh-oh, now what? She finally quieted when I cradled her close and sang. She must have just been exhausted, because when I finally laid her down with her drooping eyes she slept from 8 pm to 6 am! And we ALL slept! Ahh-thank you God!
12 comments:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sobbing right now thinking of that precious little girl and how she knows you are her family! Tell her that she has an Auntie that can't wait to meet her!!! I have been clung to the computer today waiting for your e-mail so thank you so much for updating us when I know you must be tired! I look forward to hearing more about her!
Heather
Oh- and hearing all this makes me want to adopt another one!! Kevin just said - "KIM!"
Congratulations!!!
She's beautiful! I knew she would bond with you Kim. She will warm up to Troy and Jia soon....We are looking forward to more pictures and hearing about her progress. I must have checked your blog 10 times today waiting to hear about your day! We are so excited for you guys!!
Love,
Jenny
CONGRATS on finaly being united with sweet little Saloni!!! She is absolutely beautiful!! We are so happy for you!
Nancy, Tim & Tripp DeMetris
Congratulations, Kim, Troy and Jia!
What an amazing day for you! I think that is a great way to gently begin your journey as a family bonding while experiencing the daily life of your precious Saloni. She certainly is tiny, but sure to grow as she is loved and nurtured by each of you!
We love all the sweet pictures and look forward to seeing little Saloni blossom...By the way, what is your final decision on her name?
Blessings,
Wanda
Christina Turnbull wishes to send you love and blessings on behalf of the Turnbull family...Congratulations!
(She had trouble posting on your blog...so here's a blessing for your beautiful daughter, Saloni!)
Wanda
Hi Family,
Oh she is sooo cute. Kim, I do believe you will not be dealing with attachment issues. God is a God that answers prayers.
Cannot wait to meet her and watch her blossom into a beautiful little person. Jia, you are the best Big sister.
Love and blessings
Troy and Kelly Pipes
Well, now that I've seen her, I'm quite certain she is not an Asha. Pronounced "Ahhhsha" sounds a little pretentious (which she is not) reminescent of Zsa Zsa Gabor, Dahling. Or, some semi-southern, clintonesque identification with the South whose votes he craves because Ahh (I)am one of you, so-to-speak. Nope, it's just my own historical bias weighing in. My apologies to you Asha lovers. Kiran or Kira (Tanley Jo's hybrid name is creative) and both sound good. Saloni OK for the first name but Saloni Asha Dickson (SAD) doesn't win the acronym contest either. I do like the "beloved hope" message (Saloni Asha), but then "beloved sun/moonbeam" (Saloni Kiran) is cute too. Maybe that's all too much meaning in a name. Mine (Gary) means "diminutive" of Gregory. So much for meaning, little guy :).
How would I put it all together? Not sure exactly. Saloni Kiran Dickson sounds like two last names, so how but how about Kiran/Kirha Saloni Dickson? Mema supports your choice whatever it will be -- and me too.
Love from Paradise - Grandy (& Mema) Dickson
P.S. Kim, looks like you must have memorized that book on bonding. Your maternity is truly showing after a 12 month gestation period. It's all good!
P.P.S. Hey, Tara, is your maternity showing yet?
CONGRATULATIONS! i am so, SO excited for you guys! it looks like she is going to be a mommy's girl, huh? ;) i LOVED all the great pictures you posted--keep 'em up! we are praying for you all!
Those pictures are the sweetest thing I have ever seen. What an amazing day with that darling girl who new right away you were her mom Kim and Daddy and big sister were also quite interesting. I am so glad she does not seem to be completely traumatized as God must have been preparing her heart as he has prepared yours. I am dying to hear your voices and have tried to figure out how to call you but have not been anywhere where I could do that yet. Please take care of yourselves as you must really be exhausted. My little Jia is still making me laugh with all her reactions and the pictures just make us feel so close to you. We are hanging on everyword and you should see me searching out computers in every stop in Teton and Yellowstone. not an easy feat. We love you and are sending all of you tons of hugs and kisses. You tooo Stacy! Mom,amd excited Grandma
your blog and pictures are so touching! Pass the hankie around!! The picture of Troy holding little Saloni for the first time! Makes me remember the flood of joy and love at holding my children the first time. Little Jia looks like a GIANT next to your TINY Saloni.
Much Love and Prayers,
Mikol and Cindy Maitland
Wow! that is soo cool. Kim, all of it. I'm just now getting the chance to respond. You are definntely a pro at this one, Mom. I loved looking at all the pictures and reading all the details of your trip.
My parents adopted Robert Palma my brother from Bangledesh. More on that later if you want to know. He's been a fantastic brother to me and the family@! These times and moments in your life are precious and invaluable. Thank you for sharing them us all. We'll continue to remember you in our prayers. Hugs from here.
love,
Laurie, Peter and Emily Jing Puglia
Post a Comment