Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Emotional Jetlag




On our last night in Pune, we had dinner with friends of Troy who hosted him here 8 years ago during a 1 month medical internship. Both Jia and Asha Saloni were grumps. Our hosts were amazed that we had just gotten Saloni the day before and termed her emotions, "Emotional Jetlag." It fits perfectly!

Today has been quite the day, and we're all exhausted again. We were up at 4:30 am to take a flight to Delhi. Upon arrival at 8:30 am, it was the same hot, polluted Delhi that I remember. Amid shrieking tears at being seperated from her mommy, Jia and Troy headed to the hotel while Stacy, the baby and I headed on a marathon to get adoption visa papers done. Saloni bobbed between knocked out sleeping in my arms and our handy Baby Bjorn (Thank you Withers) and crying an unwavering cry. By the time we arrived back at the hotel, we were tired out. Jia answered the room door and said, "Daddy is sick." Sure enough Troy was in bed shivering, down with Delhi Belly. In the meantime, Saloni is constipated and exhausted. She cried steadily for an hour - all of our neighbors began turning up their tv's and radios as loud as possible just to drown her out. Her crying scares Jia, so she stayed away in her room with Stacy who is a saint and played with her on and on.

Though Saloni is a year - she does not eat any solid food. We had been told all the food she ate, but we now realize it was all pureed for her. Troy's friends in Pune have volunteerd at this orphanage and they verified this is what happens because it is too hard to feed all these little ones solids. We have given her rice and yogurt mixed together - she sucks up the yogurt and spits out the rice. Likewise she has no use for Cheerios, or all the other yummy snacks we brought for her. Hence, feeding her has been quite a challenge. How many mushed bananas, yogurt, wheat cereal, papaya, and eggs can a kid eat? Perhaps her diet imposed by us, is why she is constipated. But what to do?

Finally, I did get Saloni to sleep, found Jia and Stacy on a tour of the hotel and we went in search of food. We swatted the flies like we tried to rebuff the men seeking to push us into their tourist shops. We did manage to find a popular restaurant, Stacy ordered take-out, while I found a little shop to buy Troy some Sprite, the rest of us some water, and the baby some milk. Coming home we took a bicycle rickshaw about 10 yards so Jia would get the experience, overpaid the rider and still had to argue with him because he wanted more. Too exhausted, we walked away.

We did enjoy a good lunch and I'm treasuring every second I get with Jia, because the baby won't even let me hold her out from my body - let alone put her down. Jia is being a trooper, but I miss her. We all went down for a nap and I got about 30 minutes (yea!), until the baby woke up crying again. By theafternoon Troy was feeling slightly better, and since Saloni was crying regardless of where she was, he walked around with her a bit to give me a break. Eventually she adjusted to him and gave up the fight (mostly) and I took a bath. Ahh!

Saloni has not at all been interested in the pool, being afraid of the water. So I had Troy bring her to me in the bath. She cried at first, but seemed to enjoy the warm wash cloth on her skin. Eventually she quietly began to play with the bath toys we brought, and gently splash the water. As long as she was tightly between my legs she was comfortable. We stayed there for a long time, and she seemed to relax a bit. Now I'm able to type, with just a cry that is more like her version of an upset call every few breaths. She does have a cold, is constipated and definitely on emotional jetlag. So are the rest of us. So, if you could send up a prayer for us we'd appreciate it. We're going to try and leave earlier than Saturday - tomorrow if we can. The consulate thought we'd be done with all of our paperwork by tomorrow afternoon. If another one of us adults get sick (or kid for that matter) we're doomed. So e thought we'd try and brave the long flight and get home to have more time to recover where we know how to get baby food, have our own systems in place, etc. Again, all ofthose who prayed for a baby for us, now please pray that we can take care of one.

Love,
Kim

7 comments:

Allan and Wanda Binford said...

Gracious Heavenly Father, we call upon you to help Troy and Kim care for their precious baby Asha Saloni.
Give them the rest they need and wisdom to meet the needs of their two daughters while caring for themselves. Heal Troy completely and keep the rest of their family healthy. Bring them home safely!
In the Mighty Name of Jesus!
AMEN

Anonymous said...

Amen, indeed, Wanda!!

Hey Dickson Crew,
You all are SUCH TROOPERS!!! We are prayerfully supporting your journey home...the sooner the better for sure!! Praying ESPECIALLY for health for all of you. In Christ, Pamela & Mani Bouslaugh

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Dear Ones,
Kim, you are incredible parents and will do just as wonderful with two. In no time at all you will feel like you have had her from day one. God is GOOD ALL the time and He is with you all every step of the way, so know it will be fine. Exhaustion can do a lot to us, so find a way to get your rest. Troy, you have a lot of prayers going out for a quick recovery so I know you will be feeling much better by the time you get this. Both of you know that you are a very beautiful, precious family and you have so many endless rewards ahead of you with these girls. Will talk to you soon. Love you all. Special hugs to my Stacy.

Tara and Q said...

Wow, what an awesome jounery. It has been increadible to read about your adventure. The pictures are so much fun and they make your words come to life. Q and I are praying for your health and safety, and are relived that Saloni is finally with you. We can't wait to see you when you come home!

Much Love, Tara and Q

Amy Doescher said...

Hi Dickson Family!

I HAVE LOVED READING YOUR STORY AND HAVE LAUGHED AND CRIED AND HAD EVERY EMOTION IN BETWEEN! WE ARE SO EXCITED FOR YOU ADN CAN'T WAIT TO MEET SALONI. IT IS AMAZING TO SEE THE PICTURES OF HER NEXT TO JIA! SHE IS TINY! ALTHOUGH YOUR ARE THE SAME DIFFERENCE IN AGE AS MINE, AND ALE IS SMALL, I DON'T SEE SUCH A VARIANCE IN MY TWO AS I DO IN YOUR TWO! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE PICTURE OF SALONI'S FACE SMASHED UP ASLEEP ON KIM'S CHEST! THAT ONE REALLY WARMS MY HEART! MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOU ADN SALONI WHEN IT COMES TO THE FOOD ISSUES! THAT IS REALLY HARD. WE WILL BRING YOU ALL THE THINGS THAT HAVE HELPED US. KIM, I REALLY RELATE TO YOUR MISSING JIA. I REMEMBER THAT WHEN WE BROUGHT ALE HOME.

AMY

Heather said...

Dickson fam-
I can (literally) imagine how tired you all are - thank God for Stacy (ask her where she was when we went to China!). You will definatly be in my prayers!! i hope Troy is feeling better SOON, and you guys get to come home early and get settled. All I have to say Kim is it gets easier, if thats any consulation at this point. Hang in there - I look forward to helping you out anyway I can!
Heather

Unknown said...

Give Troy, Kim, Saloni, and Jia rest for their needs. They are having a hard time with all the adjustments and I ask you to grant them peace and joy as they march on to bring Saloni home and that they family be in good health and that they be delivered home safely to their family and friends in El Dorado County.
In Jesus name,
Amen!
Laurie, Peter and Emily Jing Puglia

PS: Kim, I appreciate reading your blogs and all the details you are providing. I know my friend Kathy Masters is looking foward to meeting you and welcoming you home with your precious gift from God.
Stay in touch and give Troy our love Jia and Saloni big hugs from the Puglia clan