Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Start of the Story (Kind of)



India said, "When you've been married three years you can START the adoption application for our country." So, on March 27, 2007 -exactly 3 years of marrital bliss :), Kim called Holt, our adoption agency and asked them to start our Homestudy update - we were ready to begin the process of adopting an Indian girl.


The Homestudy update was supposed to be quick, (after we got refingerprinted, new reference letters, new tax summaries, etc) - done in 1 month. It dragged on for what seemed like forever. But in August it was finally complete. At that point, the Holt India program said we would go on a list and it would like take 1 1/2 years for the match. A little anxious, I called in November to verify where we were on the list, as we studied Waiting Children and tried to see if our family was a fit. They said, we were number 18 on a list of 21 (the list wasn't moving very fast). But because we were open to so many issues (toddler, medical unknowns, etc) it might go a bit faster than 1 1/2 years. I prepared myself for at least a year's wait until the referral and then another 6 months until we could get her.


On December 19th, I got a call from the Director of the Holt India program - Dean Hale. A call from the director, when we're in this wait mode, meant heart stops, find a seat fast, and try to remember to breathe while I'm also trying to memorize everything he says. In short, he said he had the youngest baby he's seen come across his desk in years and she's perfectly healthy. Would we like her? Breathe . . . Breathe! Don't believe it!

"I think you've made a mistake," I said. "Last month we were number 18 on a slow moving list of 21, we asked for a toddler, and we're open to all kinds of Special Needs. Are you sure you don't have the wrong family here?"

He hadn't. She was ours if we wanted her. Since it was Christmas, it took us a little bit of time to get through the mandatory rituals required before we're allowed to offically accept her. In that time, the confessions started coming out from all corners. "We know you don't think you're a baby person, but we thought you needed to have a baby, so we have been praying that God would give you a baby."

Honestly, God's handprint is clear to us. Jia loves babies, and we could see that a toddler would likely be competition for mommy whereas a baby she wants to help mother (though we still expect some jealousy issues). Also, I had prayed, "God, you know India is a rough place on little girls - especially orphans. Protect our girl like the Lion of Judah you are. You know as well as we do, the sooner you get her out of there the better." He seemed to say, "Yep, your heart and mine are on the same page here. I've pulled a few strings to get my baby to you about a year earlier than any other babies come out of India. Now you love and care for, as her forever parents." So, on December 30th, we faxed a resounding "YES, we officially accept her!"


God's pulled a few more strings on this timeline, and now we're thinking we'll get to leave in only 2 weeks (third week of May)! The Indian government has finished nearly all of their court work. The only things left are the application for her passport and our visa applications, all of which are in process. Once we have the final word, we will be making travel arrangements.


This trip our travel group will be twice as large as our trip to China. Obviously we're going. And, of course big sister Jia Anastacia is coming. She is so excited to have a sister! Kim's friend Stacy is coming too. Her job is to help us with Jia, aka Energizer Bunny. Stacy is the only person we know who has been able to wear Jia out. Not only that, she has lived and worked in developing countries, she's incredibly tough, she's really easy to travel with, and Jia adores her. We couldn't have special ordered a more perfect friend, travel companion, and helper.


Right now the blog title is Baby Saloni. We're still debating the exact name we will give her. Her birth mother named her Saloni, which means "beloved" and "beautiful," so we will keep that name. In addition we are considering adding Asha ("hope") and Kiran ("sun- or moonbeam"). Just what order they should be in is still up in the air. Please comment on this post and help us decide by voting your favorite order, tell us why, and let us know who's leaving which comments.

24 comments:

Troy and Kimberly said...

Kim votes Asha Kiran Saloni -gramatically correct in Hindustani and she loves Asha as the first name.

Troy and Kimberly said...

Troy votes Kiran, as the first name because he thinks it will fit into American culture better than the other names (and of course it will fit into Indian cultures).

Jenny said...

Sorry Kim....I gave it a lot of thought......but when I look at that cute little face I see a Kiran. I vote for Kiran Asha-Saloni Dickson I like that way that sounds and I agree with Troy about it being a more american sounding name. Thanks for setting up this blog, I can't wait to meet her and am looking forward to following your journey to India!
Love,
Jenny

Jenny said...

Kevin votes for Saloni as the first name. Saloni Kiran Dickson. He thinks that Saloni is a pretty first name. He thinks that 4 names is too many. I also think that Saloni is a very beautiful name!

Stacy said...

Hmmm. Well, I like all the names. But, in the end, I would pick Asha Saloni Dickson. Why? Well, Kirin reminds me of the beer named Kirin (the Japanese beer, you can get it in any sushi restaurant). I like the name Saloni a lot too. But, I could see mean kids in the US making it sound like salami so that is why I wouldn't pick it as a first name (but maybe she won't be in the US during elementary school so then mean kids teasing her about her name won't be a consideration). The problem with having her first initial A and her second initial S is that maybe one day she will marry someone with a last name starting with S and then her initials would be ass which is kind of funny I guess. But, I would still say it's worth the risk to do the Asha Saloni order. I would opt out of having two middle names because it's too much and ultimately, she will probably only pick one middle name to use. (But then again, if you give her two middle names, she can pick which one she likes the most to use). In the end though, all names are beautiful and any combination will be fine! Stacy

Allan and Wanda Binford said...

What beautiful names you have chosen!
I tend to agree with you, Kim.
Asha Kiran Saloni Dickson has a smooth flowing sound to it. Emma has two middle names... Emma Lia Ren, combining a piece of her Chinese name (Ren). Meanings of names are important to consider too. If you thinking about initials, you could also consider Asha Saloni Kiran Dickson (ASKD). "Ask and you shall receive; knock and the door shall be opened." Truly, this child you have asked for and the doors have been flung wide open! Blessings, Wanda

Jenny said...

Elisha votes for Asha because she thinks it is a beautiful name!
What name does Jia like

Anonymous said...

GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME!!! I vote for Solani Asha Dickson. I think four names are too many and this one does flow smoothly. Too, she already knows her name and will have a lot of other adjustments to make. However, whatever you choose will be perfect for her and I am sure she will be just as great a child as Jia. Speaking of, love the pic of Jia and my Stacy. Aren't they two peas in a pod. Safe travels to all of you and I will be on the home front praying. God Bless and CONGRATS!!
Luv you all, Sharon

Tanley said...

Hi Troy, Kim and Jia!
I'm glad you decided to go with the blog again. It was a great deal of fun to be able to "go with you" with Jia's story. I think it helped everyone feel more connected to the experience which was wonderful. So, thank you for doing this.
I'll have to get back to you on the name thing. I need to tinker with it a bit before I tell you what I think.
The picts of Baby Saloni show her looking very healthy and with a little twinkle in her eyes.
She's precious.

Amy said...

I like Saloni Kiran. I think it is beautiful. I'm very exicited for you guys. Tell India to hurry up please.

Love,
Amy Work

Kelly Pipes said...

Troy,Kim, and Jia,
Wow, God is good. We will be praying for you as you head to bring home your #2 daughter. Yahoo!!! We are pretty attached to Saloni. We have had her on our fridge for quite awhile. But we know whatever her name will be, it will be perfect.
Troy and Kelly

grandma and grandpa said...

Grandma and Grandpa say Hooray!

grandma and grandpa said...

Aha!!! I finally got on the blog. This old mom is too dense for these computers. We are so excited and can't beleive how beautifully everything has come together with wonderful friends helping with the airline tickets and darling Stacy going along to entertain Jia. What a great birthday present for both you Kim, getting your daughter and Saloni getting her wonderful family including her wild child sister to show her the ropes. I love the name Saloni but Grandpa and I both agree that Kiran is beautiful and much easier to fit into our society. We like all the names but think it would probably be better to stick to one middle name, just for paperwork sake. You get to pick! We are just waiting with open arms. Love, Grandma and Grandpa too

Amy Doescher said...

Hi Kim, Troy and Jia!

I am so excited for you and reading this made me go back to read Jia's Blog again. It is such a wonderful idea to allow your friends to follow your journey and be a part of your experience!

My vote on the name is to keep Saloni as the first name for many reasons...It is a beautiful name to which she has grown accustomed, it would honor the choice her birth mother made for her, which allows for a wonderful story for you to pass to her about something her birth mother did for her out of love...It also keeps her ties to her place of birth, to keep a gift her birth mother gave her and culture, which I believe is at least as important to assimilating to American Cluture. Kids are teased about something no matter what their name is, and i can't imagine Kim raising anything but a strong woman much like herself. My last name growing up was Goetzinger and I heard everything from Gutslinger, on...It did not have any lasting impact and kids will find something regardless of how perfect her name is, how perfectly she looks, etc. I also grew up wishing a had a more exotic name than "Amy" and prefer names that are not totally American. I hated being called Amy G or Amy#1 growing up...I had hoped my kids would have unique names so that they did not have to share with another kid in their class. With Saloni, you would have that..

Best wishes on your trip. We will be praying for you, watching your journey and can't wait to meet her!

Amy Doescher

lydia said...

Dear Kim, Troy and Jia

WooHoo!

We are so happy and excited for you. We will be praying fervently for you during you're trip.
Brian and I both really like Saloni. We think it is beautiful, unique, and will reminde her that her mother did love her. She will have so much to adjust to in the coming months, it would seem confusing to be called by another name. Asha and Kiran are both pretty names and if you choose one or both to be a middle name it will sound great.
We can't wait to meet her and are so excited that she soon will be in a safe and loving home.
God Bless,
Lydia

kerry lehman said...

i am so, SO excited for you guys! i just can't wait to meet your new daughter, whatever her name is! i laughed as i read all these comments, because they all have different thoughts, and all have good reasons! how will you ever decide?! i won't be any help to you either, because i like ALL the names! i love "kiran," but only because i think it sounds the best, and you know i am partial to "k" names! ;) but asha is so unique and intriguing. and saloni is her birth name, which is very special. there's pros and cons to having an "american-sounding" name as well as a unique name that represents your home culture. so obviously, i'm no help :) but i did think it was funny that stacy said that four names are too many, when she has two middle names! (not technicall, but still...) despite what she was named by sharon, what did her nickname turn out to be--yup, nam sook :) who knows, that could very well happen with saloni!

i hope you guys have a safe trip and that all goes well and you are home soon, safe and sound with your new daughter! congratulations and happy birthday!

mona said...

i agree with Kevin and Amy . . . Saloni Kiran . . . it has a beautiful melodic ring to it . . . and she IS beautiful!! Congratulations on your growing family!!

Heather said...

Kim and Troy-

My vote is for Asha Saloni. I love the name Asha, it seems to fit a danty little girl, and I think it goes will with the name Jia. I would pick Saloni as the middle name obviously because of its great meanings behind it and drop Kiran. The only reason I wouldn't use it as a first name is because kids can be so mean and it sound to much like salami. I would drop Kiran becuse I think that four names is too many, and becuase Alisons little boy is named Kiran so thats who I think of when I hear it. Who knows when you see her a name may just fit, which is none of the above!

Teri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kathy tucker said...

Gary and I are so excited for you. We like the name Kiran Saloni Dickson as her initials will be KSD or kissed. Congratulations! Gary and Kathy Tuckerx

kathy tucker said...

Oh, this is so exciting!!! Troy, you should be a travel writer as I felt like I was there as you described all the funny stories and you really captured the India I remember. The pictures also bring it all to life and it is so much fun watching Jia and Stacy cutting up. You all sound like you are surviving well and I can't wait for the next chapter when you have that darling baby in your arms. Happy Birthday to you again Kim!!! Thank you for emailing me right back as I was going crazy typing in everything I could imagine and still couldn't get to this site. Lots of love and hugs to all of you. Mom

Vicki said...

Hi,
Greetings from "fort", aka home. It's funny reading these blogs. I thought Kim was writing, except for the last blog, dated June.
I'm sure that you have taken receipt of your "birthday gift" by now, and I am anxiously awaiting the next update.
I found myself getting up at 330am every morning looking for a new update. Your descriptions of India and its occupants, are shared experiences of my own.
I have pondered, thought, and racked my brain about this name thing.
Kim, I have to vote with you. Asha is beautiful, it seems to "fit" her. Kiran sounds very Irish to me, and I conjure up visions of a redhead with freckles. That is definately not your little girl.
We're so excited we can hardly wait for you to get home.
Well wishes, and, a safe journey home from your co-workers.

Vicki

Kirsten said...

I read the first part of your blog last week and then couldn't wait to find a "break" today to log on! Vicki shared with me when I walked in the door this morning that Kim and Troy had added so much more since arriving in India! Your story is truly heartwarming! Thank you so much for sharing. I just love how you put your heart and soul into all you do. Kim has been a hero to me since the first day I met her - and now Troy is too! God is soooo good! By now you have met your new little daughter, sister, friend . . . I can't wait to read more. I'm praying for you every night and every time I think of you in between. Many, many blessings! See you soon!

Kirsten said...

You are so beautiful - all four of you - our all-knowing Father sent the perfect servants into the desert. I just love your blog, your story. Wow, what a way to witness! I find myself re-telling your tale to everyone that I come accross. I am awe-struck and humbled. Baby Saloni is precious, as is Jia. Just follow your heart and pray. You're molding those two lives and touching so many others in the process. Love and blessings.